The Department of Production & Industrial Engineering was started in year 1988 with the name
of “Production Engineering & Management”. The name of this department was changed to
Production & Industrial Engineering in the year 2007. The department was accredited by NBA in
2009. This core department has a sanctioned strength of 16 (Sixteen) faculty members with
flexible faculty structure. Presently, there are 02 Professor, 03 Associate professors and 08
Assistant Professors. Every faculty member has received doctorate degree in different research
areas. The department is running a UG course for B. Tech. (Hons.) degree in Production and
industrial Engineering and a PG course in Manufacturing Systems Engineering as well as Ph. D.
program in various streams of Production and Industrial Engineering. The Department is
currently developing different engineering laboratories like CAD/CAM Lab., Advanced
Manufacturing and Flexible manufacturing systems Lab., Non- Traditional Manufacturing lab,
and Industrial Engineering & Ergonomics lab and Central workshop. Time to time
curricula/syllabus is upgraded as per the market and technology requirement. The department has
also proposed to start a new PG course in Production Management which will cater to the current
- To produce engineers and researchers with excellent technical knowledge, research acumen,
leadership skills and ethical responsibility.
- To educate B. Tech., M. Tech and Ph. D students with fundamental knowledge in
concerned subjects, and to update them with the state-of-the-art in the field.
- To develop and maintain laboratories which cater to the needs of the students
- Quest for inter-disciplinary research.
- To promote academia-industry collaboration.
Objectives of the Department of Production and Industrial Engineering:
- To provide the basic infrastructure to cater the demands for the basic fundamental of the
subject covered for the course- Production & Industrial Engineering and to provide a sound
foundation in engineering and technology.
- To facilitate the students with better equipped high-end lab in collaboration with industry in
order to make student a world class professional.
- To develop the curriculum beyond the regular hour to impart practical real life training to the
students and teachers. To arrange conferences, seminars, symposium, expert guest lecture etc
on regular basis to expose students and teachers in the current trend.
- To promote student awareness of the lifelong learning and to introduce them to professional
ethics and code of professional practice.
Strengths of the Department:
- The students are trained through the programme and will be well equipped with quantitative
techniques of management decisions coupled with the knowledge of recent & newly
developed technology, computer applications, so that they will be capable for significant
contribution to industries, business and Govt. organization at all levels of decision making.
Engineering graduates will be able to :
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering
fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex problems in
production and industrial engineering.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex
engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of
mathematics, natural sciences, and production and industrial engineering.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex production and industrial
engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified
needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural,
societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research
methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of
the information to provide valid conclusions.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess
societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to
the professional production and industrial engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability:Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional production and
industrial engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the
knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and
norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader
in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex production and industrial
engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as,
being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make
effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the
production and industrial engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s
own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in
independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs):
- Students will be able to apply principles of Production Engineering both in private and public
- Students will be well equipped with Industrial Management skills and interdisciplinary
- Students will be able to apply their knowledge of Production and Industrial Engineering for
Research and development of a product.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- To create a congenial environment that promotes learning, growth and imparts ability to
work with multi-disciplinary groups in professional, industry and research organizations.
- To prepare students to be able to apply concepts of mathematics, science and computing to
Production and Industrial Engineering
- To prepare students to be employed in jobs related to designing, modeling, analyzing, and
managing modern complex systems in manufacturing and service sectors at local, regional,
national and global levels.
- To broaden and deepen their capabilities in analytical and experimental research methods,
analysis of data and drawing relevant conclusions for scholarly writing and presentation.
Consistency of PEOs with Mission of the Department
Correlation levels 1, 2 or 3 as defined below:
1: Slight (Low)
2: Moderate (Medium)
3: Substantial (High)
Head of the Department: Dr. Ashok Kumar Jha
Address: P.O.RIT,Jamshedpur,Jharkhand,India- 831014